This is precisely what happened to a homeowner in Cheltenham over the Christmas period, which sought the services of Mr Clark, a self-employed gas engineer to install a new central heating system. What they were unaware of at the time was that Mr Clark was no longer registered with the Gas Safe Register, whose license had expired in 2010 and so was working illegally, and potentially dangerously.
Mr Clark’s dishonesty was discovered after the homeowner found a gas leak, and after attempting to contact Mr Clark to come to fix the leak and provide the paperwork to no avail, had to contact the Gas Safe Register to come and check the work. Indeed a leak was discovered, which if left could have caused a fatal accident and Mr Clark’s authority to perform such a service was investigated.
Fortunately our awareness of cowboy traders is growing, and it is down to the homeowner’s proactive actions that any danger was prevented. All homeowners should ask to see the relevant licenses and paperwork to ensure they are fully licensed.
Mr Clark pleaded guilty and was fined £16,000 with £800 costs for breaching Gas Safety Regulations.